We know, and an extensive body of rigorous scientific research confirms that children who have access to green and natural play and learning spaces are healthier and less stressed, concentrate and learn better, and get along better with peers. Connecting children to nature and creating beautiful outdoor spaces is my passion, and as a landscape designer and former preschool teacher, I know a lot about it. I love working with schools and early childhood programs to create beautiful, magical outdoor play and learning spaces.
I am well aware that a custom design is just not affordable for some programs. So, I have come up with a new way to help DC area schools by sharing my expertise in a format that allows participants to plan and build THEIR OWN natural playspaces.... economically.
I am offering a special pilot program this winter that will include a series of workshops, handouts, templates, checklists and more, plus the support of colleagues who are working to change their outdoor spaces. I will provide great materials, ideas for natural playspaces that work, plant lists, planning worksheets, tips for organizing workdays – lots of great information plus answers to participants' questions as they go through the planning process.
I am currently hard at work in my business, creating earth-friendly, people-friendly designs and working with my partners at Green Earth Landscaping to build natural play and learning spaces for schools and children’s programs. I’ve never offered a DIY program like this before, and this may be a one-time series.
Participants in this program will be selected by application, so that I can be sure to work with local programs who are truly committed to making change. The program will start this winter so that schools will be ready by spring to start working on their space. I can help provide the outdoor magic children deserve!
Here is an overview of the program:
Creating Your Own Outdoor Magic: DIY Natural Playspace Coaching
Do you want to connect your children to nature, improve your outdoor space, and make it fun and functional, but don’t know where to begin or how to get started?
Nancy Striniste of Earlyspace presents an exciting new pilot program to help you every step of the way as you plan and create your own natural play and learning space.
- An expert with more than two decades of experience designing spaces for children who will guide you on the path to making the changes you envision and more!
- Three information packed presentations to inspire, educate and inform you (and up to two teammates from your school)
- Templates, checklists and handouts to keep you organized
- The support and encouragement of a small, select, committed group of colleagues
- Monthly group calls with Nancy, a professional landscape designer, to answer your questions as you work towards creating your plan—and you’ll get to listen to and learn from others as they work towards their goals
This program will start this winter so that by spring, you’ll have a plan in place and be ready to dive into creating your own beautiful natural play and learning space.
1. Begin by assessing your current space
2. Learn about natural play and learning spaces, what they look like and what happens there. See images and great ideas from across the country and around the world
3. Create your own vision for YOUR play and learning space
4. Plan your own layout with tips from an expert
5. Get great ideas for finding resources in your community
6. Learn, in a step-by-step way, how to plan a workday that is organized and fun, that builds community AND that builds your outdoor space!
This is for you if:
- You have an early childhood or elementary setting
- You have an outdoor space that needs to be better
- You are committed to making change
- You know there is untapped energy for children in your school community
- You need expert direction, clarity and guidance to make this change happen
- You are in the DC or Northern Virginia area
This is not for you if:
- You’re not ready to commit to improving your space
- Your decision makers are not on board
- You have major drainage, erosion or health and safety problems on your site
This program will be by application only and limited to a small group to ensure that everyone gets the attention they need to succeed.
No risk, 30-day money back guarantee: if you decide anytime in the first 30 days that you’re not inspired and ready to dive into creating your own outdoor magic, you can withdraw and get your full investment back.
Sign up now if you’re ready for results! (and please share this with colleagues and schools who might be interested)
Contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, pricing and an application.