Many school districts are now incorporating a 1:1 or 1:2 device model. This means that every student or every two students are given a device. However, there is a lot of planning that should also take place before a roll-out.
- Quantity- How many students do you have? Have many extras will you need?
- Model- Are you using carts or are students taking the devices home? If the students are taking them home, do you have a policy in place?
- Repairs- What will be the procedures for broken or damaged devices? Who will handle it and who will be responsible for it (the student or the school)?
- Insurance- Will insurance be provided? What vendor will you use? Is it cost effective for the parents in your community?
- Some without- What will you do with the parents that opt their child not to get a device? Will they be allowed to bring their own device (BYOD) or will the teachers need to provide an alternate method to complete the work?
- Returns- Will students return the device at the end of the school year or be allowed to take the device home during the summer? Will they be assigned the same device the following year? If so, how will that be kept track of and who's responsibility will it be?