What are the best ways to help abused children heal? Love or More? I am sure this question has been asked by many professionals, teachers, foster parents and all those who feel their pain. Having been bullied for many years which is a form of abuse, I have thought about this question in regards to myself and have spent a great deal of time and money exploring the answers. So after all the therapy, workshops, reading and painful choices here is what I believe abused children need to heal.
- One really caring supportive individual that unconditionally loves them.
- Understanding that they were not the reason they were abused.
- Removal from environments that continue the abuse or rejection.
- Real basic skills that teach them how to care for themselves emotionally and give them the tools to know when to ask for help and assistance.
- Involve them in helping others because this encourages and increases their opportunities to feel their goodness.
- Support whatever natural ability they have that will lead them to their own purpose and place in the world.
- Play, laugh and let them see the humor in their everyday challenges.
Love is an important ingredient but let the love be active in their learning how to love themselves unconditionally.