Featured EdWords Blogs
There is something magic that happens when school becomes something other than, “question-correct answer-repeat.” One strategy to break out of that pattern, engage students, and get them problem-solving is BreakoutEDU. Teachers can also create web-based breakoutsor Digital BreakoutEDU.
What is BreakoutEDU?
What is Digital BreakoutEDU?
Inspired by BreakoutEDU, teachersJustin BirckbichlerandMari Venturinocreated Digital BreakoutEDU. This strategy involves putting all the clues and a scenario on a single website. This is usually a Google Site, but as Rachel Murat proved with her presidential election digital breakout, they can be made on other platforms as well. The locks are housed on a Google Form.
How Can Teachers Use Digital BreakoutEDU with Students?
Here at Gravelly Hill Middle School in Efland, NC, teachers are creatively using this strategy to engage students. Teachers revealed a class novel, reviewed plant structure, World War II, and poetry, all with digital breakouts. Overall, students enjoyed the process but it differs from typical classroom activities. Some students were frustrated at first but as they dug deeper, they became very enthusiastic and determined to break the locks.
“Can I do this for homework?”-Sixth-grade student running out of time to break all locks.
“I asked my son what he did at school today. He replied, ‘I liberated Paris!‘” -Parent of a seventh-grade student who competed a World War II digital breakout.
How Can Teachers Get Started Using Digital BreakoutEDU in Their Classrooms?
Here are some helpful links to get started:
- Six digital breakouts designed by the author
- How-to tutorials by Justin BirckbichlerandMari Venturino
- The Digital BreakoutEDU website
Thank you for reading these ideas about engaging students with Digital BreakoutEDU. If you want to discuss further, please comment below or tweet me at@edtechtom.
Thank youCanva,the tool I used to make the image for this blog post.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I HAVE NOT RECEIVED COMPENSATION OF ANY KIND FOR MENTIONING THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES IN THIS POST. I WAS NOT SOLICITED TO WRITE THIS POST AND I HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP WITHANY OF THE COMPANIES MENTIONED.
Latest EDwords Articles
- Reading Success Secrets That Make a Difference!By Rita WirtzAugust 20, 2019
- Worried About That Student on Your Class List?: Just Remember These 5 ThingsBy Jon HarperAugust 13, 2019
- Back to School Season Have You Feeling a Bit Nervous? (Here’s Why You’re Going to Be Okay)By Jon HarperAugust 10, 2019
- New Superintendent? Welcome to the Shark TankBy Jay EitnerAugust 4, 2019
- The #1 Rule as a Superintendent: SAFETYBy Jay EitnerAugust 4, 2019
© Copyright 2019 Accretive Media