Google Classroom is designed to help teachers and students communicate and collaborate, manage assignments paperlessly, and stay organized. This robust application is a must for teachers using Google Apps with their students, and allows them to focus more on teaching and less on “teching.” Google has also created the Share to Classroom Chrome extension that brings, even more, time-saving features to the classroom.
In case you didn’t know, Google Classroom works best inside the Google Chrome browser. Using Chrome ensures you have access to all of the features of Google Classroom, including Chrome extensions that are made exclusively for teachers and students.
What is Share to Classroom?
The Share to Classroom Chrome extension helps teachers get their entire class to the same web page instantly! The teacher and all students will each need to install the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Once installed, the extension gives teachers the ability to “push” web links to each student (that also has the extension installed). This tool is great for on-the-fly sharing with your class during whole group teaching and learning. Students can also send links to the teacher. Oh, and this extension also lets teachers quickly add links to their Google Classroom announcements and assignments.
How to Use the Share to Classroom Extension
The video below is from one of my favorite sources, The Google Gooru. This video will give you an excellent overview of the Share to Classroom extension. For additional information, visit the support page for the Share to Classroom extension.
Share to Classroom Tips
- This extension will interrupt students when you “push” a link, so please be sure to “push” during intended times.
- Students can only share to the teacher, not the entire class. Teachers will need to model appropriate use. Nothing replaces good classroom management!
- Mute notifications of web pages shared by students in the settings of the extension to keep from seeing the pop-ups on your screen. You can still access the pages that have been received in the extension.
How have you used the Share to Classroom extension in your class? Please share in the comments below!
Want More Google Classroom Tips?
Check out The Teacher’s Guide to Google Classroom eBook!
The Teacher’s Guide to Google Classroom eBook is for You if…
- You need step-by-step directions.
- You don’t like having to figure it all out on your own.
- You want to go paperless with Google Apps.
- You need to understand the student side of Google Classroom.
- You’ve been using Google Classroom, but struggling.
- You want to learn how to manage Google Drive assignments-the easy way!
- Click here to preview.
But wait! There’s more!!!!
FREE BONUS: The Student’s Quick Guide to Google Classroom!!! (15 Additional Pages!)
As a special bonus, I’ve included a printable Student’s Quick Guide to Google Classroom with directions for logging into Google Classroom, joining a Class with a class code, turning in assignments and more! The perfect quick reference sheet to help your students get acquainted with Google Classroom!