Getting Beyond Labeling Students Based on Deficits
Chaunte Garrett with Toby Karten
|Labeling students have both obvious and unintentional consequences. Our guest shares strategies for constructively building on the strengths of students with special needs.
|Play Episode||Subscribe on iTunes|
Share 3.0K 0
October 23, 2017 ASCD Learn Teach Lead Radio
Toby Karten is the author of "Building on the Strengths of Students with Special Needs: How to Move Beyond Disability Labels in the Classroom" (ASCD). She is a staff developer, instructional coach, education consultant, and inclusion specialist whose ongoing professional goal is to help learners achieve successful inclusion experiences in school and life. Host Chaunte Garrett is the director of accountability for the Rowan-Salisbury school system in North Carolina, an education consultant, and an ASCD Emerging Leader.
More from ASCD Hosts
Latest EDwords Articles
- Celebrate Art and Craft of Teaching, Thoughts to Inspire You!By Rita WirtzNovember 12, 2019
- A Teachable Moment: Why 49% of Vets Wish You Would Stop Saying, “Thank You For Your Service”By Errol St.Clair SmithNovember 11, 2019
- This Is a School That Trust BuiltBy Misty M. Kirby, Ph.D.November 6, 2019
- Give Toddlers Developmentally Appropriate ProgramsBy Gail MultopNovember 4, 2019
- ValidatedBy Tim RamseyOctober 31, 2019
© Copyright 2019 Accretive Media