Second Thoughts: Think Arming Teachers is Crazy? Okay, But Did You Really Think?
Dorn, Thomas, Roberts, Whitby, Blair, Maiers, Blumengarten
|Special Report: Perhaps what’s most crazy about the notion of arming teachers is how most discussions on this important issue are mostly devoid of sober, thoughtful, factual examination. On one extreme, we hear rabid gun supporters encouraging schools to enter an arms race. On the other we see a visceral rejection of the idea so strong that facts are irrelevant. We asked some educators and school security experts to really stop and think about this issue and were surprised by what we found. We think you will be too.|
|Play Episode||Subscribe on iTunes|
Share 2.2K 0
January 2, 2013 Ed Reality Check
Gregory Thomas is former director of security of New York City Schools. Michael Dorn has worked in the field of school safety for 33 years. Dr. Wm. E “Rob” Roberts, former Superintendent of the largest geographical school district in the contiguous U.S. Angela Maiers is a teacher educator, author and advocate. Steven Anderson is the Director of Instructional Technology for the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. Tom Whitby is founder of #Edchat, and NYSCATE Network. Nancy Blair is a former teacher and middle school administrator. Jerry Blumengarten taught in the NYC public schools for 32 years.
More from BAM! Radio Network
Latest EDwords Articles
- A Teachable Moment: Why 49% of Vets Wish You Would Stop Saying, “Thank You For Your Service”By Errol St.Clair SmithNovember 11, 2019
- This Is a School That Trust BuiltBy Misty M. Kirby, Ph.D.November 6, 2019
- Give Toddlers Developmentally Appropriate ProgramsBy Gail MultopNovember 4, 2019
- ValidatedBy Tim RamseyOctober 31, 2019
- Bargaining For Common Good: Chicago Teachers’ StrikeBy Rita WirtzOctober 28, 2019
© Copyright 2019 Accretive Media