Success with Newcomers and English Language Learners
Dr. Chaunte Garrett with Dr. Margarita Calderon and Shawn Slakk
Join us for a discussion on the best ways to support students who are new to the country or still struggling with learning in English.
Share 687 0
August 11, 2019 ASCD Learn Teach Lead Radio
Dr. Margarita Calderon and Shawn Slakk are co-authors of "Success with Multicultural Newcomers and English Learners: Proven Practices for School Leadership Teams." She is Johns Hopkins University professor emerita and has served on national preschool to 12th-grade literacy panels. She has authored, co-authored, or edited more than 100 books, articles, and chapters. Shawn Slakk is vice president of operations and senior consultant for Margarita Calderón & Associates, where he and his colleagues train teachers and administrators how to consolidate language, literacy, and content for English learners and all other students. Dr. Chaunte Garrett is a longtime educator, speaker, and presenter, as well as an ASCD Emerging Leader.
More from ASCD Hosts
Latest EDwords Articles
- Celebrate Art and Craft of Teaching, Thoughts to Inspire You!By Rita WirtzNovember 12, 2019
- A Teachable Moment: Why 49% of Vets Wish You Would Stop Saying, “Thank You For Your Service”By Errol St.Clair SmithNovember 11, 2019
- This Is a School That Trust BuiltBy Misty M. Kirby, Ph.D.November 6, 2019
- Give Toddlers Developmentally Appropriate ProgramsBy Gail MultopNovember 4, 2019
- ValidatedBy Tim RamseyOctober 31, 2019
© Copyright 2019 Accretive Media